Important Dive Season Notes
Important Notes, Advisory, Booking Guidelines and Payment
SUCI is continuing its safe diving policy. There are times when we find ourselves diving in a buddy team of three (3) rather than the traditional buddy team of two divers.
Should the need to ascend to the surface, for whatever reason; we want all three divers to ascend to the surface. The reasoning is we wish to remain as a team in case something happens to a diver while ascending or to the diver(s) remaining at the bottom. If the buddy team encounters any type of distress, we do not want a diver to be alone. This is especially important in dives that have a current. If a single diver ascends to the surface for navigation purposes and/or a physical disability, he/she should not be alone. If he/she ascends with a buddy, we do not want the remaining diver left at the bottom. Once the issue is resolved and you descend, you may not find the remaining diver(s) due to the current.
The same applies for descending during the dive. Always stay within arms length and keep your buddies in plain sight.
The Ontario Underwater Council, for those who are certified through a recognized certifying agency, now approves solo diving. However SUCI does NOT permit Solo diving on any of it’s scheduled sanctioned dives.
Dive Season Signup & Payment Details
1- Registration for SUCI’s 2022 Dive Season opens on Wednesday, April 13th, 2022 at 8:00 p.m. Registration is online using Eventbrite or after the GM at the Leadership Room at TPASC. See the Dive Season Sign Up tab on the website. Only one dive can be signed up at a time. Each member signs up for their own dive(s). Chose your most favorite dive first.
2- Participants must adhere to the policies and produres within the “COVID-19” tab, SUCI – Scarborough Underwater Club Inc. – COVID-19
2- Divers must be “full” members of SUCI and in good standing YOU WILL NEED TO BE FULLY VACCINATED (2nd dose +14 days) TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY SUCI SANCTIONED EVENT. This includes having their membership form up to date and payment for the season has been received. Membership forms are now on line for renewing members. Please visit http://www.suci.ca/index.php/club/membership/my-membership-information. Log in, update any info including adding a picture and renew your membership. Fill out the 4 forms on line, then click submit. No longer the need to print it, sign it, scan it and email.
3- If you choose; shore dives must be signed up, at the latest, on the Friday by 5pm, 8 days prior to the dive. The Divemaster will make a “Go No Go” decision on Thursday, 2 days, prior to the dive. If the decision is a “No Go”, money will be refunded.
4- All payments must be received by the treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 days after the receipt of the invoice via email. Payments can be made by eTransfer. Those who have not paid by the dealine of 10:00pm 5 days after the receipt of the emailed invoice, will be removed from the “Who Am I Diving With”. You will receive an electronic receipt (via email) to confirm your payment. A 50% deposit can be made rather than payment in full. The balance is due 30 days prior the dive Friday of that dive.
5- The “Who Am I Diving With” list located under the Dive Season 2022 tab will have a list of divers attending each dive. It will also show the number of vacancies.
6- Seating is limited on charter dives. Many dives are very popular, so choose your favorite dive first and book your hotel/camping accommodations early to avoid any disappointment in choice or distance to your dive site departure.
7- A member can only book one dive at a time.
8- The Gananoque Houseboat trip may require a passport or Nexus card IF the border opens to permit diving in the US.
9- Each dive has a “Diver Self Rating” letter ( A, B, C) assigned to it. This is to ensure that each diver is qualified to attend the dive. Please make sure that you chose the appropriate dive that meets your self rating. You can find the “letter” at SUCI – Scarborough Underwater Club Inc. – 2022 Dive Summary or on the website under the Dive Season-2021 tab.
10- A- There are no refunds unless a Medical Certificate is provided and at the discretion of the SUCI Executives. Notwithstanding #A, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY TO FIND A REPLACEMENT CERTIFIED DIVER CAPABLE OF DIVING AT THAT LOCATION. THE REPLACEMENT DIVER WILL PAY YOU DIRECTLY FOR THE DIVE. SUCI WILL MAKE AVAILABLE TO YOU ANY DIVER THAT MAY BE ON THE WAITING LIST FOR THAT DIVE.
11- In the event a dive charter still has vacancies 45 days or less prior to the charter date and it has been deemed to not be able to be filled by club members. SUCI will open up the dive to outside certified divers. In this instance O.U.C insurance must be purchased and the Divemaster of that dive must approve the diver.
12- Transportation & Accommodation are your responsibility but usually you can find someone to car pool with and/or share a room. Members, will either be camping or rooming in a nearby motel. We have included contact information for accommodations with each of the profiles in this package. This may not be a full listing of available accommodations. If reserving a site at an Ontario Provincial park, reservations can only be made a maximum of 5 months in advance. The popular parks get reserved very quickly. I recommend you take advantage of the early booking.
13- Shore dives will have a $20.00 fee. The “divemaster(s)” will NOT pay for any shore dive.
14– The Gananoque Houseboat trip will require 4 “divemasters”.
15- Divemasters will pay the dive charter fee minus $100.00.
* No alcohol at all before dives and this includes night dives. If YOU DRINK, YOU DO NOT DIVE!
* Be at the boat or dive location at the very least – 30 minutes prior to departure. The boat will leave on time, with, or without you. * If you do not feel well or are uncomfortable, DO NOT DIVE. The wreck will still be there.
* There is rental equipment available at most of the dive shops.
* If you have a confirmed booking, an email will be sent approximately one week prior to the dive reminding you of the meeting place and schedule or any last minute changes.
* Please “Respect” the Divemaster, as they have a lot of organizing to do on each dive. This is after all is a “Volunteer” position, yet a necessary one. If we have no Divemaster there will be no dive.
* Please help out where you can. More experienced divers can really do a lot to help build the skills and confidence of new divers. Remember how you felt starting out and perhaps how someone helped you.
* The Divemaster is in charge of the dive and will make decisions on buddy pairings, bottom times, dive profiles etc…, based on the information they have or are given. They will try to accommodate people that want to dive together where it is possible, but they may sometimes have to split things up based on factors such as the experience levels of the dive group. Again, please respect their decisions. It is the responsibility of individual divers to plan their own dives using the tools of their choice. i.e. dive computer, eRDPml or RDP.
* Please respect the boat Captain and crew. We are their guests. Ask permission before boarding any craft and listen to their instructions if any, on how to board, stowing of gear, or de-boarding. If you have questions, ask. Don’t make assumptions. For those who have not been on a dive charter before, please remember to keep your gear stowed neatly at all times, as space is usually confined and loose gear can be broken or cause accidents. Leaving a tip to the Boat Captain or Crew is usually left up to the individual unless a group decides to pay a tip as a whole.